I was nominated for the Liebster Award by shatterthestigmadepression.wordpress.com. The Liebster is an online global award to connect people with new blogs. It was started by Global Aussie back in 2011 and the rules can be found at theglobalaussie.com/blog/liebster-award-2017/. My nomination comes from a wonderful blogger who discusses her battle with depression. I would implore you to check her out. She is awesome. She set 11 questions for me to answer.
1. Why did you start blogging? I started blogging as a way to share my story and to add my voice to those trying to end the stigma surrounding mental illness. It was also a way for me to come to terms with my diagnoses.
2. What inspires you? In my writing I am inspired by two people, Jonny Benjamin (the mental health campaigner) and J.K.Rowling (I love Harry Potter). In everyday life I am inspired by the people around me, music and books.
3. What is your favourite quote? “As I look back on my life, I realise that every time I was being rejected from something good, I was being redirected to something better.”
4. What is your biggest achievement so far? Blogging wise it has to be having my work published by different charities. This has offered me some fantastic opportunities. In life in general, my biggest achievement is getting my degree despite battling with my mental health.
5. What is your dream for the future? My dream for the future is to write for more charities and continue to break down the stigma surrounding mental illness.
6. What is your experience of mental health? I struggle with my mental health on a daily basis. I have Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (EUPD, also known as BPD), depression and anxiety. I have struggled since I was a teenager.
7. Have you experienced any stigma associated with mental health? What? I have. I was refused a job on the basis of my mental health. I was told they didn’t think I would cope because I have depression. They didn’t even interview me.
8. Have you got any strategies that you use to improve your mental health? I try to do some form of self care everyday however small. I also use grounding strategies to help me when I am struggling. This includes dot to dot and origami. I guess writing is also a strategy I use.
9. Has something happened in your past that affects the person you are? How do you overcome this? I’ve had quite a few things happen in my past that affect how I see myself and have led to my mental health being difficult. I am working to overcome this to some extent with therapy.
10. What self care do you practice for your mental health? As I’ve said I try to do some form of self care everyday. This can be as simple as having a shower. Other popular forms of self care for me include relaxing in my hammock, playing with my cats or bullet journalling.
11. What have you learnt about blogging since you started? I have learnt that being honest is important. People relate better when you are honest about struggling.
Below are my nominations. I think all these blogs are great. I enjoy reading their posts. If you get a chance check them out.
Blog 1: lisasreality.com
Blog 2: robtalksblog.wordpress.com
Blog 3: aweebitblue.wordpress.com
Blog 4: insideborderline.wordpress.com
Blog 5: liamandhisanxiety.wordpress.com
Blog 6: talkingaboutbpd.blogspot.co.uk
Blog 7: reliefromanxiety.blogspot.com
Blog 8: dearestsomeone.com
Blog 10: depresseddetective.com
Blog 11: amysboarderlineworld.com
And my 11 questions for you all are:
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- How would you describe your blog in 3 words?
- What do you like about blogging?
- What do you dislike about blogging?
- What’s your wish for the future?
- What advice would you gibe your younger self?
- What advice would you give to someone new to blogging?
- What’s your favourite blog post you’ve written so far?
- Why do you keep blogging?
- What’s your favourite quote?
- How much would you say blogging has helped you?
I look forward to reading the responses.